The Physician Health and Wellness Program (PHWP)
Doctors Manitoba is dedicated to ensuring that its members have sustainable practices which can lead to ‘better care, better health and better value’ for all Manitobans. This vision was outlined in the Doctors Manitoba 2013-2015 Strategic Plan: Sharing Our Vision. The PHWP:
- Develops and promotes wellness programs that respond to the changing needs and priorities of our members
- Enhances the Physicians-at-Risk program (PAR) by providing a prevention component
- Links with the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) and Provincial / Territorial Medical Associations (PTMA) to piggy back on their wellness programs/conferences
- Developed and maintains the PHWP website to promote physician wellness
- Endorses the ‘MD for MDs’ wellness initiative by
- Identifying MDs that are prepared to accept other MDs as patients
- Developing and delivering supportive training for the MDs who accept MDs as patients
- Assisting our members in accessing an MD with the Physician Connection Line
- Facilitates processes to improve professionalism values consistent with the aims of better care, better health, better value
The Physician Health & Wellness Website
This brand new website was created by doctors just like you. We’re physicians who know that to take the best care of their patients, our first priority has to be our own health. But it’s not just about addressing an illness when it develops or waiting for crisis to strike. It’s about taking proactive steps to ensure you’ve got a solid foundation of good health and the tools you need to maintain a positive outlook.
You’re encouraged to visit this site often—make it a part of your weekly reading. It will be a regular shot in the arm that keeps you inspired to stay on top of your own wellness activities, as well as a place to find tips and techniques you may not have seen before. It’s also a place to create community within our profession. By hearing from others who share your experiences and know where you’ve been, we’ll be stronger than ever.
No matter where you are in your career—student, resident, practicing doctor or retiree—you are a vital part of Manitoba’s medical community. Your voice counts and your experiences matter. Tell your story! We’re interested in tips, articles, photos, and resources. Contact us and let us know what you’re thinking. Editing services are available, so there’s no need to let anything hold you back.