Friday April 29, 2016 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Doctors Manitoba brings you a workshop aimed at discussing and exploring some varied health and wellness issues while enjoying the beautiful and natural setting of the facilities at the FortWhyte Alive centre. Physicians will discuss techniques for self-management that enhance wellbeing.
The target audience for this workshop is all Manitoba physicians, residents and medical students.
By the end of the session, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize physician burnout and understand its implications
- Apply strategies to decrease stress and burnout
- Appreciate the personal impact of physician-assisted dying
Program Schedule and Objectives:
8:30 am Dr. Jack Perlov – Physician Burnout
- Physicians will understand that in the practice of Medicine there are “Occupational Risks”
- Physicians will be able to differentiate between burnout and depressive disorders
- Learn early recognition of burnout and its diagnosis
9:30 am Dr. Harvey Chochinov – Dying with Dignity: A Palliative Care Perspective
- Learners will hear about some of the current practices in jurisdictions with death hastening legislation.
- Learners will understand the broader implications of addressing dignity concerns in dying patients.
- Learners will be reminded of the important role they play in addressing issues related to a request to die.
10:30 am Coffee Break
10:45 am Dr. Philippe Erhard – Too Busy to Relax?
- Identify the causes and impact of stress in medicine
- Outline steps to reduce stress in our personal and professional life
- Learn three habits to increase resilience
11:45 pm Lunch
1:00 pm Dr. Melanie Saint-Hilaire – Intro to Mindfulness
- Define mindfulness and describe its application in medicine
- Experience how mindfulness can be cultivated in one’s life through formal and informal practices
- Become familiar with available resources
2:00 pm Dr. Anthony Hlynka – Physician Health: Addiction, Mental Health and the Rest of Your Life
- Appreciate options for approaching physician health concerns and know what resources are available to physicians needing help
- Understand barriers and pitfalls when disclosing health problems, and strategies to overcome them
- Explore return to work challenges and the effects of undertakings on physician practices
3:00 pm Afternoon Break
3:15 pm Mr. Roger Jamieson, Mr. Matt Maruca – Bill Well, Live Well
- Understand that lifestyle, autonomy, retirement goals can all be supported through the financial freedom FFS provides physicians – that effective billing can enhance overall physician wellness
- Understand the various sources for billing information and advice e.g., our website, physicians – pros and cons
- Understand the key points where you might under-bill – failure to properly instruct your staff as to what service was provided, hiring the right staff, failure to reconcile claims, not keeping up with revisions to the Physician’s Manual
4:00 pm FortWhyte Nature Walk
This activity will be an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and approved by the Canadian College of Family Physicians for Mainpro-C CME credits.
Registration cost will be $50 for physicians and $25 for residents and students.